The Pennsylvania Progressive

The Pennsylvania Progressive discusses progressive politics, issues, and candidates with a particular emphasis on Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. We have moved so please click on a link below.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Random Thoughts

I'm getting fed up with some people who think they can insipidly waste my time and others'. This morning I sat through a third meeting of our Board of Elections where a township supervisor candidate again accused his opponent in last year's election of perjury. Aside from the fact this charge is impossible to prove, he has no tangible evidence, and he's simply pursuing a personal vendetta. I can't imagine why we'd be ticked about the hours he's spent beating this dead horse.... If I counted all the time all of us have sat through this when far more important work could have been getting accomplished I could spit. Some people make you ashamed to be a Democrat.

I hate all these chain and franchises taking over our towns. Soon you won't be able to tell what town you're in. Every store and restaurant will be chains. Check that "welcome to" sign so you know where you are. Because of this I try to eat at locally owned restaurants. I tried one for lunch today but had to leave because the booth was so small the table was jabbing into my chest. I'm sorry but I refuse to eat lunch while being tortured. Next I tried one of those chain buffet places but the entire parking lot was being repaved. Now I was getting hungry so I pulled into the next restaurant I found, an Appleby's. After sitting at a table that was so dirty my magazine was sticking to it my sandwich arrived only partly cooked. Raw chicken just isn't my thing. I ate some of the fries then asked for the check when the waiter came around. Eleven bucks for some fries....I'm rather confident that's the last visit I'll ever make to Appleby's.

The flooding here was quite serious yesterday. ABC News even did a live report from Reading. As bad as it was the projects initiated after Agnes in 1972 did wonders to forestall a catastrophe. Good, smart planning proves that good government is possible and a reality. Much potential damage was averted. On the other hand we drove up to Leaser lake in Lehigh County where the dam is still unusable because the state has been remiss in doing repairs. The flooding downstream was severe with lots of damage. The pictures I posted last evening were of this area. We saw a lot of homes inundated with water that might have have been contained in what is, basically, an empty lake.

I'm working on an article for America Votes so my posting here will be light today and tomorrow. I'll cross post it here after it goes up at their website.