The Pennsylvania Progressive

The Pennsylvania Progressive discusses progressive politics, issues, and candidates with a particular emphasis on Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. We have moved so please click on a link below.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Rolling Rock Bids Adieu

The AP reports that the last, final case of Rolling Rock beer came out of the plant in Latrobe this week. Budweiser has purchased the manufacturing plant and the classic beverage will be no more. It's a big loss to many college kids who couldn't afford to drink good beer. I was never a fan of Rolling Rock. Though it was a cut above Iron City, when I was at Penn State (in a decade long, long ago) Rock was something I definitely tried to avoid. Those who knew me in those days will attest there weren't many beers I wouldn't partake of, but RR just left this terribly bitter taste.

I recall going to Skull and Bones meetings at The Rathskellar (is that still there?) where we'd buy a couple cases of Rolling Rock and get a couple "church keys" to pass around to open them (I'm really dating myself now). I'd always go to the bar and get a couple real brews to drink first so by the time I drank the Rock it didn't matter. Yes, those were the days and the only reason I'll miss Rolling Rock is because it always reminds me of those days. Truthfully, is anyone going to miss this crap?