The Pennsylvania Progressive

The Pennsylvania Progressive discusses progressive politics, issues, and candidates with a particular emphasis on Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. We have moved so please click on a link below.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Domestic Violence: Some Phillies Still Don't Get It

Let me begin by saying I'm a diehard Phillies fan. I had Sunday season tickets until campaign involvements meant I simply couldn't get to the games. Then there was that ugly incident with drunken fans in the parking lot, but that's another story. The most read article on this site lately (through Google searches or whatever) was the one about Brett Myers' physical assault on his wife Kim last week. Of all the subjects, be they national or state political matters, this sports story stands head and shoulders above the rest.

It wasn't really a sports story though, it was a domestic violence story. I'm following up because of something I read in today's Philadelphia Inquirer. The first bit of news is that Brett Myers has requested and been granted a leave of absence from the team. The Phillies say:

The Phillies have made available appropriate, professional, employee assistance resources to help Brett and Kim Myers in these circumstances.


Bravo. It's about time someone did something constructive here. I do hope these resources are appropriate for Kim Myers and deal with Brett's obvious anger issues.

Brett's statement is very revealing however:

On the day of my arrest, I consulted with my attorney by phone, who advised me to make no comments about this matter. While I followed his advice at the time, I have felt the need to make some comments about this situation and I do so now.

First, while I dispute that the facts are as alleged, I recognize that my behavior was inappropriate and for that I apologize.

Second, I recognize that the incident created an embarrassing situation for many people, including my wife and family, my teammates, the Phillies organization, and fans, and I am very sorry for that.

Third, my wife and children are very important to me and I am willing to do whatever is necessary to address any problems that might harm our marriage. I have asked the Phillies for some time off so that I can concentrate on this matter and make plans for whatever assistance is appropriate.

At this time, I do not intend to make any further public comments about this matter.

Note that the welfare of his wife and children come last.

The Inquirer article revealed a profound absence from reality by Phillies third baseman David Bell:

Asked whether the weekend in Boston had been tough because of the arrest and three losses to the Red Sox, third baseman David Bell said, "That's none of my business. Nor is it anyone else's. It's my business because I care about him, but it's nobody's business who doesn't care about him."


Sorry David, but when men beat women it's the obligation of every other man around them to intervene. Your appalling lack of civility and manhood is revolting. The only way we're going to stop such behavior by men is to let them know we won't tolerate it. Yes, it's your business, my business, everyone's business to intervene and protect Kim Myers or any other woman being beaten by a man.