The Pennsylvania Progressive

The Pennsylvania Progressive discusses progressive politics, issues, and candidates with a particular emphasis on Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. We have moved so please click on a link below.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

New Zogby Poll

OpEd News just released the results of it's second commissioned Zogby Poll. Some interesting findings. The poll shows Casey leading Santorum 47% to 37%. It shows Alan Sandals and Rick Santorum tied at 43% each. Chuck Pennacchio leads the GOP Senator 45% to 43%.

Putting things into perspective, Casey's campaign began with a 16% lead. Some recent polls show it now at 6%. With a combination of about $600,000 spent between them the two progressive candidates are, at the minimum, competitive with Santorum. I find that significant. Imagine what either of them could do with the nomination and the millions that would flow to whoever wins Tuesday's primary.

As a point of disclosure I worked for Chuck Pennacchio last year. I began doing volunteer work in December 2004 and served as Interim Campaign Coordinator from April through June 2005.

I have not been actively involved in the campaign since then.

It seems to me that either Alan or Chuck has a great chance of winning this election come November. Casey's pattern seems to be repeating from his only other issues oriented statewide run. That was the Gubernatorial primary in 2002 against Ed Rendell when he began with a large lead and wound up losing as voters discovered his conservative views on important social issues. This was my analysis when I was working for Chuck and I see these polls confirming that opinion. As voters watched the debates Casey lost support.

I like Alan Sandals a lot. I've met him on numerous occaissions and I regard him highly. Should he win the nomination he's someone I'd support enthusiastically. Knowing Chuck as well as I do after spending so much time with him he's my endorsement for Tuesday's election. Chuck would make a great United States Senator.

There are a lot of interesting tidbits in this new Zogby Poll. From impeachment to voting machines to the war, go visit OPEdnews and read the results.