The Pennsylvania Progressive

The Pennsylvania Progressive discusses progressive politics, issues, and candidates with a particular emphasis on Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. We have moved so please click on a link below.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Is Swann Using Santorum's Email List?

Something odd happened when I went to check my email this morning. There was an electronic newsletter from Lynn Swann's campaign. This is odd because I've never registered or signed on for email notification with his website or campaign. I have, however, been on Rick Santorum's list from the very beginning of his re-election effort, for obvious reasons. The email account I used for that is one I don't make much use of and very few people have the address. So that makes me suspect the Senator has either given or sold his email list to the Swann campaign.

There are certain protocols you must follow if you're using someone else's list. If you simply send them an email, unsolicited, asking them to support you, send money, volunteer, etc. you are, technically, spamming them. I checked Rick Santorum's privacy policy on this and there's NO disclosure that may be share the information with any other party. Here is their stated policy regarding their email list:

Receiving Updates: When you subscribe to email updates, we will use your e-mail
address to send you regular organization updates. We will also contact you about
recent news. You may unsubscribe to any of our electronic newsletters at anytime
by following the instructions contained at the end of every
newsletter.

Swann's email doesn't ask its recipients to "opt in." as it should. Their email should include a link to a special opt in page where the people receiving the unsolicited message can then sign up directly for Swann's email alerts. They neglect to do so. This is an important omission. It violates the standards and conventions of the internet. I recommend anyone receiving this to report it to their ISP as spam. It technically is and this would send them a clear message about following proper protocols and standards.

The only disclaimer included is this:


You are receiving this email because you or someone on your behalf signed
up to receive email updates from our campaign.

I didn't sign up with them or authorize anyone else, that I know of, to do so on my behalf.