The Pennsylvania Progressive

The Pennsylvania Progressive discusses progressive politics, issues, and candidates with a particular emphasis on Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. We have moved so please click on a link below.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Charity Begins at Home for Rep. Ruffing

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports (hat tip to GrassrootsPA.com) that state Representative Ken Ruffing did not donate his illegal pay raise to charity as he asserted previously. The pay jacking politician claimed, as many others did, that he donated his raise to charity. He has now fessed up that he gave it to his son.

To his credit, if that's possible, Ruffing claimed to have given the money to an autism charity. Since his son is autistic I suppose, in his mind, this constituted giving it to an autism charity since, as we all know, charity begins at home. I'll have to remember this when I do my taxes next year. Since I have pets maybe I'll give some of my income to my beagle and write it off as a donation to an animal rescue operation. The next time a nor'easter blows through and knocks down a few tree limbs I'll give myself some cash and write it off as giving to a storm related group.

Why are we shocked to discover a politician lied to us? Do scorpions sting? Do snakes bite? It's just their nature folks. I bet we all wondered how much of that money was actually donated to charities. This makes them all questionable. Let's make every state rep and senator prove where they donated this cash.